Friday, March 04, 2005

Movie Review: Be Cool

While it's no Get Shorty, I have to say for some reason, I still can't figure out, I found myself liking Be Cool. I went in with some pretty low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised.

I find most sequels this far from the original (has it really been 10 years?), and in fact sequels in general, tend to depend a lot on an audiences affection toward shared characters to carry them. In 'Be Cool', almost all of the central characters are new, so the success or failure of the movie rides with them. Nowhere is this more evident than Vince Vaughn's Raji. If you can accept Vaughn's portrayal or a white record manager desperately seeking 'street cred' than I think you may just be able to ride out the rest of the movie in relative comfort.

The Rock's performance as Raji's gay bodyguard Elliot, and André Benjamin's as Dabu, the world's worst gangsta, are reasons enough to see this movie. Their characters are somehow both totally out of their element and genuine. I think this 'Rock' guy might just have a future in acting.

As for the rest of the professional actors, their performances are passable enough to not hold the movie back, but don't really help sell it either. Don't get me started on the over abundance of cameos.

Overall, worth watching but not necessarily remembering.

(At least it wasn't 'Ocean's Twelve')

3 out of 5

1 Comments:

Blogger AJRimmer said...

I must say I disagree with you on this movie on the most part. I also went in with very low expectations but it barly met those so it is a long way away from being a movie I would recommend even to my worst enemy. I would agree with you that the Rock and Andre are the only things worth seeing is this movie. (Of course they are out of their element they seem to think they are in a good movie).

March 04, 2005 2:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home